House and Apartment Issues May Include:
- Accessibility to Building: broken steps, too steep of steps/ramp, no railing, no curb access/ not enough. Broken locks (front/ back doors and bedroom locks).
- Faulty Openings: broken windows/doors, frames, seals around windows/ doors. (Letting in drafts and causes heat to escape)
- Mold, fungi, water damage, asbestos, lead paint, excessive leftover trash/rubbish, excessive flaking/peeling paint.
- Structure damage & Broken Pipes and leaks (water, gas, plumbing), massive wall/ceiling cracks, exposed wiring,
- Lot, building and dimensional requirements - minimum necessary rooming areas, common areas, parking lot.
- No action based on races, nationality, gender, sexuality, or religion, handicap, or familial status. - denying rental
- Notice prior to entering premise, the landlord must provide one days prior notice before entering unless specifically stated for legitimate reasoning.
- Landlords - threatening, intimidating, interfering with tenant exercising fair housing rights,
- Selectively enforcing lease provisions, changing lease,
- Falsifying inspections, health code violations, fair housing act.
- Working fire/ smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detector, and fire extinguisher, other fire hazards
- Serve overgrowth of plants, trees,
If your landlord/ property management does not comply with need issues (housing/zoning codes), please contact the Building Service Department for the City of Kent.
For more information contact Student Legal Services, the Undergraduate Government, or a City Inspector.
Student Legal Services: (330) 672-9550 | http://dept.lent.edu/sls
Undergraduate Student Government: (330) 672-9550 | email@example.com